Sunday, May 26, 2013

Weekend Writing Warriors #16!

Greetings, friends! Welcome to the madness! Today I'm sharing something completely different again. It's a story I wrote called 'All Action, No Talk', which will be featured in the Wedding Day Collection releasing the week of June 9th! Let me tell you how it all came to be. One day I got this crazy idea in my head. I thought, hey, Evelyn, why don't you write a story about a mime and a clown? Then I laughed at myself, because I think I'm pretty funny and stuff. But then I stopped laughing because OMG, this was a brilliant idea! So I found a scrap piece of paper and started jotting down all the bits of plot and dialogue that were floating and bouncing and cartwheeling in my head. And then I pitched my kooky idea, including stick figure art, to the collection editor and instead of shipping me off to the loony bin, she actually LIKED the idea. She liked it so much she decided to give me a spot in the collection! *happy dances* :D

It's not a dirty story. Shocking, I know. It's actually a beautiful love story of two circus freaks...Oh, hell, just read the blurb. 

Alice Moore is a clown . . . in love with a mime.

Her parents have never approved of her circus-oriented lifestyle and in effort to deter her from wasting her life clowning around, they set her up with family friend, Grant Humphrey. A practical man. A businessman. And the last man on earth she wants to marry, but here she is, marching down the aisle toward him.

Alex Holiday is a mime . . . in love with a clown.

He’s silently followed Alice from venue to venue on the circus circuit, working alongside her, worshiping her in secret. He’s never been able to tell her how he feels . . . until now. When he catches wind of the upcoming wedding, he vows to put a stop to it. But will his objection be too late?

And I have cover art to share! 


And now, my eight sentences....

He looked nothing and everything like the man she’d grown to love, all put together in a suit and tie, shy and vulnerable and beautiful.

“You’re here.” Her voice cracked on the last word, and she hated that more than the idiotic statement itself.

He nodded and his grin deepened, sharpening the lines that bracketed his mouth, lines that told the tale of a thousand soundless stories.

She closed the distance between them but stopped just shy of launching herself at him. Probably not the best thing for an almost-married woman to be doing with a man that she wasn’t almost-marrying but wished to heaven she was.

“You look…different,” she said, chuckling. Her hand reached out of its own volition and touched the lightweight wool of his jacket.

Thanks so much for stopping by! Take a moment and visit the other Weekend Writing Warriors! Wishing you all a wonderful day! :)
:) :( ;) :D :-/ :x :P :-* =(( :-0 X( :7 B-) #:-S :(( :)) =)) :-B :-c :)] ~x( :-h I-) =D7 @-) :-w 7:P 2):) :!! \m/ :-q :-bd ^#(^

25 comments:

  1. Okay, I have to say it, is the reason he can't tell her he loves her because he'd a mime and can't speak? LOL. Enjoyed your snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...maybe. ;) You'll have to stay tuned to find out! lol. Thanks so much for stopping by, Cara!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. He's trying! He wants to! He will eventually...maybe even next week! ;)

      Delete
  3. He seems to be really shy, I wonder what his voice is like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might find out next week! ;) Thanks, Linda!

      Delete
  4. Lovely #8Sentence. Very touching and sad. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! So glad it struck a chord with you! :)

      Delete
  5. A great concept there. I look forward to finding out what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comments! I'll share more next week! :)

      Delete
  6. I think this is a brilliant idea! Hope he says something soon or better yet, just shows her how he feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be a little showing and telling. ;) Thanks so much, Kate! So glad you like it!

      Delete
  7. I think the story concept is brilliant - so much fun when a seemingly random idea suddenly takes flight and becomes a great story, yes? I enjoyed the excerpt but now I'm SO anxious for him to stop being a mime and utter the *WORDS* LOL. Can't wait to read the whole thing, wish June 9th was closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS fun! :D Thank you so much for the love, Veronica! I can't wait for June 9th either!

      Delete
  8. Damn clever idea for a story. :) of course like everyone else I want to see what he does..or says and then what she does about it.
    History Sleuth's Writing mysteries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee! Maybe you'll find out next Sunday. ;) Thanks so much, Cindy!

      Delete
  9. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good idea. I think the concept is great because it's not a cliche and its not the same ol' boy meets girl. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you think so! I appreciate you stopping by! :)

      Delete
  11. So excited for this story to release! Love it and love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaand right back atcha, baby! <3 Can't wait!

      Delete
  12. The imagery is incredible! Nice job. Plunked me down right into the scene with them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just read this snippet, thinking it was for this week so I have to comment (a week late). Great premise, I was really drawn to the story line, and ultimately the scene. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great description and great scene!

    ReplyDelete